- 16 squash blossoms
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 sweet bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped tortilla (or ½ cup bread crumbs or cooked quinoa or rice)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a sauté pan, add and lightly sauté the coriander, turmeric and garlic for 1 to 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add and sauté the mushrooms for 3 to 5 minute or until they soften. Add and sauté the peppers and tortilla for 3 minutes or until warmed through. Add cilantro, scallions, salt, and pepper and cook an additional minute. Allow filling to cool until warm.
Loosely stuff each squash blossom with the filling. Twist the petals closed to contain the filling. Heat remaining oil in a sauté pan. Add the stuffed blossoms and lightly fry, gently turning once or twice as desired. Serve hot or cold as an appetizer or as side dish. Makes 16.